Stillman is located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama 52 miles southwest of Birmingham. The City of Tuscaloosa is served by major bus and rail lines; modern shopping and service facilities are accessible in the immediate vicinity of the campus. Downtown Tuscaloosa is within walking distance. The 105-acre campus is noted for its stately magnolias and spacious, well-maintained grounds, and graceful buildings.
Alexander Batchelor Hall
Batchelor Hall was completed in 1962. It is a three-story brick building with a basement. Extensive remodeling in 1973-74 and again in 1999 provides for greater utilization of Batchelor for administrative services to students. It has approximately 7,000 square feet on each floor. This building contains the following administrative offices:
- Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Business Office
- Human Resources
- Contracts and Grants
- Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness
- Vice President for Strategic Initiatives
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- Athletic Director
- Educational Support Services
Harold N. Stinson Math and Science Building
The Stinson Building was completed in 1972 and serves as a central classroom facility with approximately 23,000 square feet on the first and second floors. The second floor received extensive renovation in 1999, which increased the size and number of laboratory/classroom spaces.
Several of the offices on the first floor are used by IT (Information Technology Management). Classrooms are in great demand in this building between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. in the spring and fall semesters. This building is unique because it has a special design feature that includes a small auditorium that seats approximately
200 students. The auditorium is used primarily for special functions and occasionally for classroom use. A greenhouse is located on the first floor.
Hay College Center
The Hay Center opened in 1965 and was renovated in 2002. It serves as the focal point of social life at Stillman. The Center houses the College dining room, student organization offices, computer classroom/ laboratory, recreation rooms, post office, book and supply store, commuter student lounge, faculty and presidential dining rooms, guest rooms, and Presidential Board Room. The first floor houses offices for Enrollment Management (Admissions, Financial Aid, and Registrar) Auxiliary Services, and Director of Student Activities. The Constance Stinson Activity Center was added in 2004. A large courtyard with fountain is adjacent to the building.
Birthright Auditorium was erected in 1951 and renovated in 1975, 2003 and 2012. It provides facilities for physical education and athletics. The building houses a combination auditorium/gymnasium with physical education offices on the first floor and inter-collegiate sports locker rooms and a fitness classroom on the lower level. The first floor level of this building, approximately 17,000 square feet, serves as the main auditorium on the campus and seats approximately 1,800 people.
William H. Sheppard Library
William H. Sheppard Library was completed in 1956 and houses approximately 118,000 volumes of books and other materials. It also houses the media area and archives. It provides office space for library staff as well as space for book stacks, book processing and graphics. In 1989 the Ashel and Merle Jackson Communications Complex was annexed to the facility. An art gallery was recently added to the annex. OPACs (on-line access catalogs) are conveniently located throughout the building.
Hallie Paxton Winsborough Hall
Winsborough Hall, a female residence hall, was constructed by the Women of the Presbyterian Church in 1922. This two-story building is located on the east edge of the main quad. A complete renovation was done in 1987, with refurbishing in 2002 and 2007. This building bears the name of Mrs. Hallie Paxon Winsborough who was Secretary of Women’s Work from 1912-1929.
Frank H. M. Williams Hall
Williams Hall was completed in 1968, refurbished and architecturally enhanced in 2001. This building, a single gender residence hall, has been used for housing male or female students. It is named in honor of an alumnus, philanthropist, and former trustee of Stillman. In the past, this building was used as a male residence hall. Currently this hall is being considered for re-development.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Hall
King Hall was completed in 1968, refurbished and architecturally enhanced in 2002 and is similar in design to Williams Hall. Interior spaces and rooms have been refurbished. In the past, this building was used as a male residence hall. Currently this hall is being considered for re-development.
John Knox Hall
Knox Hall was erected as a student nurses’ residence hall in 1939. Enlarged in 1954 to serve the needs of a growing student body, it provided administrative space for the General Education Improvement Program and housed the Health Center and male resident students. The building was completely renovated again in 1994 and rededicated in 1995 as a residence hall for men, housing upperclassmen and Harte Honors College students.
Emily Estes Snedecor Hall
Snedecor Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus. It was built in 1929 and served as a hospital for the residents of Tuscaloosa. In later years, it served as the mathematics-science building and library. While the original architectural style of the building was maintained, the interior was completely renovated in 2000 and now houses the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Title III, Alumni Affairs, and Scholarship.
President’s Home/Faculty House
This brick residence known as the President’s Home was constructed in 1936 and served until recent years as the official home for the President. It is now used for receptions and other social functions.
Faculty Housing and Apartments
The existing faculty apartments structure contains eight units and is used principally as transitional housing for new faculty and staff.
Joseph D. Roulhac Hall
Joseph D. Roulhac Hall was completed in 2000 and is named for Judge Joseph Roulhac, a Stillman alumnus and the first African American municipal judge in Akron, Ohio. The residence hall houses 298 female students and contains a computer laboratory and a food court.
Geneva Hall was completed in 1954 as a residence hall for women. This hall is currently being renovated to serve as a Center for Excellence in STEAM and Troops to Teachers.
Frances Dearing Hay Hall
Frances Dearing Hay Hall, named in honor of the College’s second First Lady, was opened for occupancy in the fall of 1966 to house upper class female students and has been occupied by male students.
Marie Lundy Wynn Hall
Marie Lundy Wynn Hall, completed in 1996, is named in honor of the College’s fourth First Lady. In the past, it has housed female Harte Honors College students, honor students, and upper-class women. Currently, it is a male residence hall. The building has a fitness room, computer lab, and a kitchen on each floor.
Myrtle Williamson Memorial Prayer Chapel
Myrtle Williamson Memorial Prayer Chapel, finished in 1966 and remodeled in 2002, named for a beloved member of the Bible faculty, is perhaps the most unique architectural structure on the campus. The style of the Chapel is free form using the sphere as the basic element of design. The chapel, made possible through Miss Williamson’s estate and gifts from alumni and friends, provides a quiet and beautiful place for prayer and meditation. It is located across the drive from the College Center courtyard.
Josephine C. Johnson/J.W. Robinson Student Development/Health Center
Josephine C. Johnson/J.W. Robinson Student Development/Health Center constructed in 1994, is named for two long-time employees of the College. Mrs. Johnson, an alumna of Stillman, served as college nurse for 37 years, and Dr. Robinson served as college physician for 28 years.
Cordell Wynn Humanities and Fine Arts Center
Cordell Wynn Humanities and Fine Arts Center, completed in 1999, serves as a central classroom facility. This building features multi-media and seminar rooms; electronic classrooms; language, reading, speech, writing, and computer laboratories; studio and gallery space; and audio-visual studios for mass communication and telecommunications. The building was named in honor of Dr. Cordell Wynn, fourth President of Stillman.
Stillman Stadium, completed in 1999, served as home to Stillman’s outdoor athletic teams. The 8,000-seat stadium includes four NCAA regulation fields—one for football, two for baseball, and one for softball— and five related buildings.
The School of Education/ The Houston H. Harte Center
In September 2018 Stillman College renamed the education building to Houston H. Harte Center in honor of a long-time supporter and former chairman of the board of trustees at the private college. Harte was a chairman of the board from 1987-93. He was awarded an honorary doctor of laws degree from Stillman in 1985. Previously called the School of Education, this building was completed in 2003 and is located on the southeast section of the campus near the stadium. In addition to offices and classrooms, the 31,000-square-foot building contains spaces designed specifically for students in the education program. The high-concept, technological facility stands as evidence of Stillman’s commitment to the teaching profession.
Plant Operations, completed in 2003, is comprised of 5,000 square feet which includes a variety of work, office, and storage spaces, as well as outdoor enclosed supply and equipment spaces.
Constructed in 1939 with a coal-fired furnace, the Heating Plant was renovated and refitted by a gas-fired furnace in 1998. It now services three buildings.
The College maintains eight houses intended to insure an administrative presence on campus, and to provide transitional accommodations for faculty.
Thomas E. Lyle Band Center
The Thomas E. Lyle Band Center, completed in 2010, is named for former band director and legendary bandman, Dr. Thomas E. Lyle. It is annexed to the Cordell Wynn Humanities and Fine Arts Center and houses the marching and concert bands.
The Tennis Complex, completed in 2010, is comprised of eight, lighted NCAA regulation courts with the signature Stillman blue playing surface.
Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church
The new sanctuary was completed in October of 1959. The original building has been expanded to serve as an education annex of the church. Students attend worship services on Sunday mornings and Chapel services during the week.
The Driver Amphitheater
Named in honor of Mr. Dennis O. Driver, a 1975 alumnus, and Chairman of the board of Trustees.
Strange Bell Tower
Erected in 1983 and named in honor of a Stillman alumnus, Alonzo Strange.
Redesigned in 2000. The marker honors Walter Duncan and Bessie Morse Bellingraph, developers of the famous Bellingraph Gardens near Mobile.
Condoleezza Rice Historic Home
Built in 1957, this home on campus is notable for its historical significance. From 1966-1969, the family of Reverend John Rice, Mrs. Anglena Rice and daughter Condoleezza Rice occupied this dwelling. Dr. Condoleezza Rice went on to become the nation’s sixty-sixth Secretary of State.