The Harte Honors College
The Harte Honors College provides opportunities for outstanding students to participate in rigorous educational experiences that will prepare a new generation of leadership with traditional underpinnings, a commitment to excellence, and vision to lead. Through a unique interdisciplinary curriculum with course work that ranges from classical languages to advanced research, the Honors College program is designed to stimulate students’ intellectual curiosity, enhance their oral and written communication skills, and foster their ability to think and study independently. The Honors College places special focus on the importance of viewing issues from many perspectives, integrating and analyzing knowledge, and being able to communicate those data-constructed thoughts effectively.
The criteria used to select each talented class of students include: a minimum high school grade point average of 3.5, minimum SAT of 1150 or ACT of 25, demonstrated leadership ability, two letters of recommendation, and a completed application with an original essay. To secure more information about Harte Honors College, write to: Director of Harte Honors College, 3601 Stillman Boulevard, Stillman College, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401.
Harte Honors College Graduation Requirements
Candidates eligible for the Harte Honors College Diploma must have completed 120 or more semester hours of college-level coursework, earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 in the major, earned an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0, and have completed the following:
- At least 15 credit hours each semester with an overall grade of “B” or better.
- All Harte Honors General Education requirements (48 credit hours).
- All Harte Honors Courses:
- HRT 120 Honors Seminar “The Scholar”
- HRT 220 Honors Seminar “The Researcher”
- HRT 320 Honors Seminar “The Artist”
- HRT 322 Honors Seminar “Leadership”
- HRT 420 Honors Seminar “The Citizen”
- HRT 131 Honors African American Heritage
- HRT 232 Honors Logic
- Advisor Approved Foreign Language
- A major consisting of required credit hours, together with electives, completed to the satisfaction of the major department
- Sophomore-Junior Examination
- Senior Thesis
- Senior Departmental Examination
- A graduate or professional school entrance examination.
- Harte Honors cultural and enrichment activities.
- Completed 40 hours of experiential/service learning.
- Participated as a Stillman College Ambassador.
- Participated in an academic and non-academic extracurricular activity.
All Harte Honors students are required to complete a core of advisor approved courses designed to provide intellectual and aesthetic experiences that have the fundamental qualities of critical, analytical, and integrative thinking. These courses will enable the student to solve problems, to make both intellectual and value judgments, and to function effectively in a rapidly changing world environment. Some requirements may vary depending on the major.
Included below is a sample semester-by-semester plan of the Harte Honors program (without major requirements.)
The sample Four-Year Harte Honors Program above only includes Harte Honors requirements and does not include electives and courses in the major. All students must enroll in at least 15 credit hours each semester to remain in good standing with scholarship requirements. Advisor approval is recommended each semester for selecting content specific courses.
HARTE HONORS (Without Major Requirements) FRESHMAN YEAR Fall Semester
SENIOR YEAR Spring Semester
7 credits of Advisor Approved Courses for a total of 7 credits this semester.