Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Chemistry major, students will be able to:
1. Identify, describe, and explain the basic terminology, concepts, methodologies and theories used within chemistry (Content).
2. Analyze information and develop reasoned based solutions to problems using the processes and applications of scientific inquiry using ethical behaviors (Critical Thinking).
3. Communicate knowledge, ideas, and reasoning clearly and effectively in written and oral forms appropriate to the science of chemistry (Communication).
As a result of successful completion of the Chemistry Program, graduates will:
1. Matriculate to graduate and professionals schools or accept employment within the field of chemistry.
2. Have participated in an extracurricular research experience.
3. Pass the Senior Exit Examination on the first attempt.
Major in Chemistry
Required courses for the major in Chemistry
The major in Chemistry consists of a minimum of thirty-three (33) credit hours in CHM and sixteen (16) hours of cognate courses in Physics and Calculus.
Physical Chemistry or Biochemistry Sequence
For the Chemistry major, students must select between a sequence in Physical Chemistry or Biochemistry:
- CHM 345 and 346
- BIO 343 and BIO 434
Minor in Chemistry
Required courses for the minor in Chemistry
A minor in chemistry consists of a minimum of 20 credit hours. The following courses are required for a minor in chemistry: