Special Education Major
Collaborative Teacher K-6
The Collaborative Teacher K-6, a special education program, is designed to prepare teachers to better meet the diverse needs of all children, including those who have been determined to be exceptional and who receive services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Students in the Collaborative Special Education K-6 program will take courses that introduce them to a variety of exceptionalities that help them become aware of the critical issues relevant to the delivery of services to exceptional children. Methods courses in this area of study will focus on developing assessment, instructional strategies, and behavioral management strategies tailored to the unique needs of the exceptional child. Students who complete the courses in the program are eligible to apply for certification in Collaborative Special Education K-6. Each of the courses in the program will include field experiences in an inclusive classroom.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon the completion of a major in Special Education, students will be able to:
- The students will be able to analyze teaching models. (Critical Thinking)
- The students will be able to design/teach instructional methods during classroom and clinical experiences. (Content)
- The students will be able to create and present reflective journals in both written and oral form appropriate to the disciple. (Communication)
As a result of successful completion of the Special Education program, graduates will:
- At the end of this program, the students will be able to evaluate higher order thinking activities in the classroom and during clinical experiences.
- At the end of this program, the students will be able to communicate orally and in written form specific teaching concepts during an interview with the Teacher Education Screening and Admissions Committee in which certification is sought.
- At the end of this program, the students will be able to describe/discuss best teaching practices in the classroom and during clinical experiences.
Included below is a sample semester-by-semester plan for a major in Collaborative Special Education K-6.